The Gulfton Textile Lab Apprenticeship program in Industrial Sewing will give you the skills to get employed at a local manufacturer or start your own soft goods brand.
What you’ll learn:
Trainees can expect to learn:
- How to use industrial machines (straight-stitch, serger/overlock, & coverstitch) and other equipment
- Manufacturing terminology & processes
- Basic spec and tape measure reading
- Hand and machine sewing methods, along with finishing and hemming
- How to work with different types of fabrics
- Safety and ergonomic principles to create a safe work environment
When you graduate:
You’ll have a portfolio of work and sewing samples
You’ll receive a Certificate of Completion
You’ll be eligible to apply for On-the-Job Training (OJT) at a USDOL approved apprenticeship site, or at HTXSewnGoods
- Your information will be shared with our network of Employers and you’ll have an opportunity to interview for a job
- If you go through the program in order to launch your own brand or business, we will connect you with a business coach to help you get your startup off the ground
- Prior sewing experience needed:None!
- Length of program:8 weeks, M-F, 9am - 1pm including a 15 minute break
- Location of program: St. Luke's Gethsemane Church, 6856 Bellaire Blvd., Houston, Texas 77074
- Size of class:2-4 people
- Parking:Free parking is available in the lot at St. Lukes
- Bus stop information: Metro Line 2 stops at KIPP Connect, just 100 feet from the church
Cost of program: $3000 includes tuition, materials & tools and class curriculum.
Financial aid: At this time, we have no financial aid available. We are working with several state agencies and foundations to secure funding for students.
Payment options: Prospective students are welcome to pre-pay for a class on a monthly basis, lay-away style.
Payment details:Payment is due in full up front.
Refund details: Those who decide to withdraw from a class on or before Day 5 receive a 100% refund. Those who withdraw anytime during Week 2 get 50% tuition back. No refund is given if the course is dropped in Week 3 or after.
- Email Lauren Caldarera at Lauren@projects-matter.com to receive application information.
- Once we receive your application information, one of our instructors will follow up with you within 5-7 business days.
- Come in for an interview and sewing test.
- Receive application response.
- Details on grants and scholarship opportunities provided to qualified candidates.
- Pay class tuition.
- And learn!!